Saturday, October 31, 2015

A Halloween Story...


Well it's Halloween and what better time to tell a real story involving me...
Back around 1963 or 1964, the family was living in a fairly new constructed two bed room house in Abilene, Tx on Glendale Street. The home was part of a new tract of homes being built up in the north side of town. Jim and I shared one of the bedrooms. I would have been around 6 years old, yet I remember this episode vividly, or so I think.
As I recall, I was playing with a set of toys in the bedroom. I don't recall if Jim was in the room with me or not. I was sitting on the room's floor when out of the corner of my eye, at the doorway entry, I saw a woman dressed in a black dress which appeared to flow down and cover her feet/shoes. Her hair was black and worn with a bun. I could not make out any facial features, yet the image was most definitely that of a woman.
I quickly glanced towards the open doorway and the image was gone. I recall getting up and going to the doorway to look and see if anyone was in the hallway...there was nobody. I don't recall being scared, but only curious as to who this could have been.
I want to say that I saw this figure on numerous occasions when I was playing in the bedroom...always out of the corner of my eye and standing in the doorway only to vanish when I would look directly towards the doorway. But with the passage of time, I not sure that the image did reoccur on numerous occasions, but only that one time.
So what did or who did I see? Since I only saw this image out of the corner of my eye, I could have mistaken any subtle movement as that of the image. But why the image of a woman in a definitely black long dress with her hair tied up in a bun?
There are certainly logical answers from a neurological standpoint. Yet at the age of 58, I remember this image vividly. Active imagination from the mind of a 6 year old?....Or, was it something else?

4 comments:

  1. Brian,

    I do not. I've never experienced anything out of the ordinary that didn't have a rational explanation. This includes the above story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you conclude about the experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian,

    The experience was that of a 6 year old. Overactive imagination perhaps, but taking into account the culture that I was exposed to in which folklore and superstition was super imposed.

    Also take into account what I was exposed to via TV back in the early 1960s: Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Thriller..

    The title of the blog post is "A Halloween Story" with heavy emphasis on "story." People can take from it what they will. I originally posted this on my facebook page. Family members ate it up which was not surprising. The cultural allure is still strong it seems.

    ReplyDelete